APR. 6, 2006
WOULD YOU HAVE THE COURAGE TO ENTER A COMPETITION LIKE NASHVILLE STAR? WHAT WOULD YOUR STRATEGY BE?
At the early stage of my career, I don't know that I would have had the guts to get in front of millions of people on national television every week. My confidence came from years and years of practicing in front of smaller crowds. Each of the finalists have a great sense of self and and their abilities.
As far as strategy for navigating the competition, I would, first of all, be certain that I perform predominantly up-tempo songs. I think for the most part, if I were voting on this competition, I would want to hear songs that really got me energized.
An occasional ballad or mid-tempo song is good for change of pace. However, for the most part I would stick with up-tempo songs.
Second, I would perform songs that at least made the Top 10 on the country charts. If the song had not made it to the Top 10, I would have to seriously evaluate it.
The idea is to perform songs that are familiar to the voting audience. From now until the end of Nashville Star Season Four, the finalists should continue to hit the audience in the eardrums with popular, familiar songs.
It is becoming apparent that some of the finalists will, in one week, set themselves apart from the rest, but then overextend themselves the next week and not "finish off" their competitors. Instead of closing the door and distancing themselves from the others, they let the rest back in.
I truly like each of the finalists as people and artists, however, they need to realize this is a competition.
The winner of Nashville Star this season will undoubtly be excited to take the recording contract. They should remember that even though they like and respect their competitors, they should do their best to win.
- (3/30) You've hosted three shows now, what has surprised you most about your role as host? What do you like and dislike?
- (3/23) When you watch the finalists, are there moments that you're reminded of your own early beginnings?
- (3/15) What did you think of the first show and how hard is it to see someone get eliminated?
- (3/9) Now that You've Met the Contestants, What's Your Outlook for the New Season?
- (2/17) Why are You Excited About the New Season?